Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Hello, and setting up a server

From: Andres
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Hello, and setting up a server
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:10:57 +0100

El Sat, 25-04-2015 a las 10:36 -0400, Jim Garrett escribió:
> However, I'm not an experienced system admin, and this world I
> envision involves people who are also not experienced sys-admins
> running servers.  Hence a few questions:
>      1. Am I correct in thinking that running a server for this
>         purpose requires a static IP address?

Not expierienced either but I think that is the case as well (similar to
hosting a website I think). Also check with your ISP if they are OK with
it. There are probably other issues such as upload speed. Maybe you need
to co-locate your server?

>      1. Lots of inexperienced people running servers sounds like a
>         large-scale security disaster waiting to happen.  Is there any
>         way this could be managed?

This is a very good question, but I am guessing it is about following
the instructions and keeping software up to date. But if anything, I
assume it will be small scale  since they are normally federated. I am
subscribed to the gnuMediaGoblin mailing list and it seems that there
are some experts that are OK with some hand-holding durring the setup
process. I have seen similar things in gnusocial. I guess the best
course of action is to subscribe to the development mailing list of the
social media you want to host and ask there.
It is a great power you will give people around you but also a great
responsability. I was going to try for something not too critical and
small to start with and go from there. Good luck!