Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Open Knowledge Policies: Science in EU

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Open Knowledge Policies: Science in EU
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:44:16 +0100

El 16 de octubre de 2015 17:16:19 GMT+01:00, Pen-Yuan Hsing
<penyuanhsing@gmail.com> escribió:
>Thanks Bruno, great article!

Yes thanks! Exactly kind of thing I was looking for. I have to read it.

>Two quick questions about the article:
>
>(1) In it it said: "The cost of editing for a typical paper is between
>1
>percent and 3 percent of the cost of funding the research to produce
>it." -> Is there a source for this statement? I'd love to see it.
>Because I can use the actual data to talk to others about this problem.

I have not read context.
I am sure this dependent of the field. But one can imagine that out of a 100
days  work in science staff time at least 1 day spent writhing it will be spent
writting the paper. And no more than 10. Review should take half the time (or
less) and typesetting editing is fairly automatic with tex templates and
guidance for authours how to send info e.g. figure1.png and not Figure0.png

>(2) It also said: "the word "open" had the last laugh: influential
>campaigners for "open access" subsequently dropped freedom to
>redistribute from their goals." -> Is there a current, standard
>definition of "open access"? Does someone have a link? Sounds like the
>current "open access" is like "open source", if so is there an
>equivalent term that's like Free Software?

In the intro here (sorry don't know where, I'm in the move)
http://www.jpi-climate.eu/publications/documents/10862501/JPI-Climate-Guidelines-on-Open-Knowledge-extended-version
There was a better framing of what it meant. In the jpi climate context.

--
RichmondMakerlabs.uk
Ham United Group