Re: [libreplanet-discuss] applying the GPL to some clojure code

From: Nico Rikken
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] applying the GPL to some clojure code
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 10:44:18 +0100

Hi Catonano,

I have been pondering on this exact same issue. EPL and GPL are
incompatible.

A 'hack' might be to make your code work with the Pixie language, as it
is licensed LGPL. This might still be an issue as many other libraries
in Clojure are EPL as well.

Dual-licensing or choosing a 'permissive license' could enable both EPL
distribution and GPL distribution. This is especially important as it
enables future GPL projects to build on your project, potentially
modifying your code to work with GPL-friendly code like Pixie provides.

An Apache or BSD license is probably most permissive, but another option
would be to choose the EUPL, which allows inclusion in EPL projects and
enables a two-step re-licensing to the GPL.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#EUPL

I lack a formal legal training, so please do your own investigation.
Either way, I'd be glad to know your future findings on this topic,
especially now that Clojure is becoming more mainstream.

Regards,
Nico Rikken (NL)