Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Best e-reader for free software compatibility

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Best e-reader for free software compatibility
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 11:51:09 +0000

El 6 de diciembre de 2015 03:22:40 GMT+00:00, David
<postmaster@customer-opinions.net> escribió:
>Given that your relative already has a Kindle why not root it and
>remove their lock-in that way? I know you can put Cyanogen mod on there
>and would think it likely that Replicant might work too (easy enough to
>find out by trying it for yourself!). Once a new ROM is in place FB
>Reader could be added to it. There are many resources out there giving
>details of how to root these devices...for example
>http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12/23/exclusive-how-to-easily-root-the-amazon-kindle-regardless-of-its-software-version/
>
>David Nash

Also http://hackaday.com/2009/09/03/ubuntu-9-04-on-kindle-2/

For older versions? Not tried it myself.
Might be other DIY projects around.

Not sure of faif ereaders available off the shelf. I would be interested

--
RichmondMakerlabs.uk
Ham United Group