Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Facebookites / Microsoftians /Appolish

From: anonymiss
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Facebookites / Microsoftians /Appolish
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 13:41:51 +0100

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 06:15:27 -0500
Julien Kyou <julien@thisyear.me> wrote:

> A Polish  Apple-ish get it.... Lame.
>
> How does one get these types of people to listen to *Anything Freedom
> Related* ?
>
> Anytime I mention * *, I may as well be a. Singing a lullaby. Or b.
> Taking about the weather.[0]
>
> [0](Fall asleep or accept this dystopian present as immutable and
> worse acceptable)

I find that the more you understand what you are talking about, the
more you can give easier examples which apply to peoples lives and the
more you talk about it in general, the more you can shape those
examples.
This is what I have started a while ago.
Direct exposure also works wonders or just being that "annoying" person
who always talks about freedom related things when the chance is given.
through direct exposure over a long time, I got some friends curious in
free software (or at least GNU/Linux) and some family members to switch
to it with my help.

The problem with faceboogle is an entirely different, bigger issue.
The development we have now, that people prefer facebook chat/message
over Email and other IM services is only logical to me.
The only meta-replacement which might work, is still being worked on
(see youbroketheinternet and related projects).
I think trough repetition and shaping of what you want to express and
what people using faceboogle are used for, you can't do much currently,
but in the long run when there will be new technologies, everybody who
told at least one person about specific reasons why free software is
good, and why faceboogle is harmful to their rights, has done major
work in making someone curious, making someone switch to free software,
transporting some knowledge.

It might look hopeless at times, but no struggle is hopeless as long as
you get people to think about it. Even if they are annoyed about it and
then talk to someone, you still managed to make them think about it,
and that's the important thing, making people think about what they do,
what they use, disturb their individual perception of their world.

NG. / anonymiss
http://libertad.pw http://krosos.sdf.org
gopher://sdf.org/1/users/krosos
Email is public. Talk to me in private:
https://psyced.org:34443/~anonymiss
privacy respecting, secure communication:
BM-2cSj8qEigE3CMaLU3CwPZf7T3LvzvnttsC
(bitmessage)