Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:54:01 -0500

Alexander Berntsen <alexander@plaimi.net> writes:

> Geez. It's a joke. Lighten up, people.

Yes, I get that it's a joke. We all get it. And if it was just us I
wouldn't mind.

But as I said before, try to (as I have) to explain these jokes at your
company to a room of people who are hostile and/or ignorant of free
software and the joke loses its shine really fast. Moreover, people from
the free software community who want to use software licensed under a
joke license have to stop short and start searching around to see if it
is even a valid license. So this joke ends up taking up people's time
and effort. Finally, license proliferation is a real problem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_proliferation

On a personal note, my stance is a function of my being with the GPL
Compliance Lab for a decade now. I've seen the real-world impact, so for
me these jokes have long stopped being amusing. These days I cringe
every time I see a vanity license or a joke license and hope that nobody
will use it for anything that's important to the community.