[libreplanet-discuss] Sign the petition for Intel to release an ME-less

From: Ali Razeen
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Sign the petition for Intel to release an ME-less CPU design
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 12:34:59 -0400

Hello folks,

The people over at puri.sm (https://puri.sm) have created a petition to ask
Intel to release an ME-less version of their CPU. You can sign the petition
here:
https://puri.sm/posts/petition-for-intel-to-release-an-me-less-cpu-design/ and
I have included the full text of the petition below.

For those who are unaware, the Intel ME is a a separate “feature” implemented
via hardware and software on all modern Intel CPUs. It includes a custom
operating system and has direct access to the hardware. It can access the
harddrive without being hindered by your operating system and it can send data
out via the network card. You can read more here: https://io.netgarage.org/me/
and http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf

Please take some time to sign the petition. It’s quite possible that Intel just
ignores it but maybe it’s worth trying to sign it and get some voices heard
inside Intel?

Here’s the petition text:

—-
We, the users of Intel CPUs, petition Intel to release an “ME-less” CPU design
for future CPUs.

Intel’s Management Engine (ME) is a threat to users’ digital rights. It is an
unreadable binary file that is cryptographically signed by Intel, requiring
users to compromise their security, privacy, and freedom because users must
execute unknown and unverifiable code on the CPU.

I, the undersigned, request that Intel either release the source code under a
free software license – allowing users to sign their own Management Engine, or
that Intel release an “ME-less” CPU design for their CPUs.
—

Ali