Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Could I use BLAG to substitute CentOS for RHCE

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Could I use BLAG to substitute CentOS for RHCE?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 15:36:26 -0300

I can't speak for the FSF nor for the GNU project.

I think you can do these courses, although this will probably make
people believe that you support or are willing to use the non-free
systems referenced in the certification, if you do mention to the public
that you do have that certificate.

In my curriculum and/or resume, I remove all mentions to non-free
software in my fields of interest (mostly: organization management,
accounting, graphics design, and basic education on computer usage (no
certification for this one because I'm not a teacher)). I had taken a
course about basic Windows usage (they labeled it as "Basic computer
usage"), and about all that non-free software used for graphics design,
but all this was when I wasn't a free software activist (I was just
studying the movement).

Nowadays, I simply refuse to take courses about any non-free software or
non-free system distribution.

I do feel the need to take at least a basic course (with valid
certification) about most software I use or plan to use (like: GnuCash,
LibreOffice, Inkscape, GIMP and so on). However, since I'm currently
unemployed, and I don't have a monthly income that is reserved to my own
use (I do receive monthly incomes but they go to other stuff, like
college expenses), I can't afford to pay for the courses even if I would
find one (because I haven't found courses about these software, and when
I do find, it requires non-free JavaScript or non-free software in order
for me to access the course and materials).

So most items in my curriculum and/or resume are all about self-taught
free software usage, and most of the items let my skill levels transpose
to the reader/evaluator. For example: If I'm self-taught on *basic*
GnuCash usage, why would I lie to the reader by briefly saying that I'm
just "self-taught on GnuCash usage"?

And by this, I hope to, one day, be chosen for what I really like to
work with.

I really wish there would be a place where individuals could place their
free software-related curriculum and/or resume. Actually, I think GNU
Savannah *does* have this feature (I'll look for it later).