Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Distil Networks blocks entire websites if you

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Distil Networks blocks entire websites if you protect privacy at all
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 15:37:44 -0700

On 06/21/2016 03:31 PM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> I've created the action item page, see:
>
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Action_items/To_Distil_Networks:_Free_your_JavaScript
>
> Due to respecting the Semantic MediaWiki mark-up, it should, after some
> time, *automatically* appear in the table of this page:
>
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Action_items
>
> And also in the table of this page:
>
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Free_Javascript_Action_Team#Action_items_related_to_this_group

I appreciate the pro-active support here, but this seems to me to be
more than merely a non-free-JS issue. I think that the particular stuff
their JS does may violate privacy concerns (though I'm not certain). And
the need to use JavaScript at all means that someone trying to access a
website in a way that uses no JavaScript at all is fully blocked.

Also, I emailed the site I was trying to reach but didn't contact Distil
Networks. I'm not sure what to say to them at this point, because I
*suspect* their entire business model may be unethical and impede the
free internet and free web as technologies fundamentally. Their whole
service works like a man-in-the-middle attack, and having such an attack
work with LibreJS doesn't seem to me to solve the actual problem.

But someone more technically knowledgeable will need to investigate what
is going on with their business and their technology. I don't really
understand it.