Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 9

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 9
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 10:10:32 -0400

IngeGNUe <ingegnue@riseup.net> writes:

> In seriousness, if someone does not understand, they can ask. They did,
> and people were happy to clarify. No one is shamed for not
> understanding. Part of the joke is that it's a initially a puzzle. And
> now that the meaning has been revealed, we can all share this little
> joke with our friends, family and coworkers.

The problem here is that the clarification included an escalation saying
"and I'm sick of people complaining about everything being possibly
offensive." I agree with Georgia's response to that escalation,
reminding everyone that we are going to maintain standards of respectful
and inclusive communication on this list. If someone does say that a
joke or comment makes them uncomfortable, we are going to take that
seriously, we are going to assume good faith on the part of everyone,
and we expect others here to do that too. We are not going to respond to
points people raise in good faith with slippery slope arguments about
how anyone could theoretically complain about anything. The day someone
*actually* says that saying "the ocean is blue" offends them is the day
we will address that complaint.

So while the debate/discussion about the effectiveness of renaming
companies and brands toward different free software movement goals is
welcome here, the shots at the list's overall standards for respectful
communication are not. Please abide that and keep the conversation on
topic.

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.