Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Freedom-respecting GPS Watches

From: John Byrnes
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Freedom-respecting GPS Watches
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 14:44:41 -0400

Hi Harry,

> As an endurance athlete I was wondering if there were any
> freedom-and-privacy-respecting GPS watches on the market? I'd like
> something that is small and wearable on a wrist (i.e. not a phone or
> phone app).

I've had good luck with my Garmin 305 and 310XT watches. The firmware is
proprietary, but folks have written software communicate with them and
extract the GPS tracks. Since there is no communication with a central
service built into the watch, I consider it to be a dumb appliance like
my microwave.

There are Debian packages available for both watches:

305: garmin-forerunner-tools
310XT: antpm

Best regards,
John