Re: [libreplanet-discuss] a question to developers (not packagers) re. s

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] a question to developers (not packagers) re. systemd vs. sysvinit
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:02:36 +0000

On 15/03/17 16:57, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> The systemd vs sysvinit topic has popped up again on the Debian list
> (and a few other places), and it occurs to me to wonder what's going
> on from a developer perspective (rather than a distro or packager
> perspective).
>
> Our own systems are pretty stable, so I haven't looked lately, but my
> sense was that through it all DEVELOPERS were basically ignoring
> systemd and continuing to ship traditional init scripts in tarballs -
> followed by, either (or both):

As a developer, I don't "ignore" systemd specifically.  Writing a unit
file and testing it takes time and every other enhancement takes time
too.  Developers typically spend their time on the most critical things
they need to change for customers or things that they feel excited about
for some reason.

> a) things just run, because systemd recognizes traditional init
> scripts (sort of), and/or,
>
> b) packagers create systemd scripts
>
> Which leads me to wonder the current state of the practice.  So two
> questions to software developers & maintainers (not packagers):
>
> i. What kind of init scripts do you typically include in your code?
The same init scripts that have been in the projects for a long time
already.  If I was starting a new project I may be tempted to include a
unit file instead of an init script.