Re: Remove ly:grob-properties (issue 549840044 by address@hidden)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Remove ly:grob-properties (issue 549840044 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 10:19:18 -0700

On 2020/04/11 16:38:28, hanwenn wrote:
> On 2020/04/11 16:02:31, dak wrote:
> > The description says "[ly:grob-properties] will not return the
properties that
> > were \overridden."
> >
> > Aren't you confusing this with ly:grob-basic-properties ?  I think
> > ly:grob-properties will actually _only_ return the properties that
were
> > overriden.
>
> \override pushes data onto the immutable list (or at least, it used to
be like
> that).

In effect you are right (and I misremembered), but override pushes onto
context-maintained lists which are ultimately used as template when
make_grob gets called and _then_ the overriden properties end up on the
immutable list.

> I thought of removing the other function too, and I agree in
principle, but it
> can only break more user files. As long as we're not considering
reorganizing
> the immutable lists, I think it can stay.

Note that there is no necessity of returning a bonafide part of the grob
structure: one can construct a list of properties on the fly.
Particularly because this is used read-only and only occasionally.

https://codereview.appspot.com/549840044/