Re: Extracting approximate outlines from FT ?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Extracting approximate outlines from FT ?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 09:52:24 +0200

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 9:42 PM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Also, is there is way to detect internal curves (eg. the inner curve
> > of the O glyph?).
>
> The 'inner' outline of an 'O' glyph has exactly the opposite direction
> of the outer outline.  In other words, for getting the outermost
> outline(s) of a glyph you can always skip such 'inner' ones.

I'm confused. Our code currently does

 FT_Load_Glyph (face, idx, FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE);
 FT_Outline *outline = &(face->glyph->outline);
  int j = 0;
  while (j < outline->n_points)

ie. it goes over a single list of points, so we are processing any
internal curves together with the exterior one?

I guess we should loop multiple times, by looking at outline->contours?

Could I assume that the outer contour is always the first one?