Re[2]: state of the ’Pond for earnest tadpoles

From: Trevor
Subject: Re[2]: state of the ’Pond for earnest tadpoles
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 14:07:06 +0000

James wrote 02/01/2021 13:41:06

On 02/01/2021 12:20, Thomas Morley wrote:
A full `make doc` takes hours for me, even if invoked with `make doc
-j5 CPU_COUNT=5`
Thus I hardly do so, but use the CG-documented methods:

Hours?
Really?

Perhaps 'an hour' if you were using some very, very old CPU - but even using a
single CPU on an 'old' i5 Intel system a full make doc for me took less than 50
mins. That last time it took longer than an hour was when I had an old (8+
years ago) iMac running make doc in a linux VM.
When I had an old laptop with compromised cooling many years ago, a full build used to take several hours, presumably because my cpu was automatically clocked down to keep it from overheating. That was what triggered me to write the original versions (later improved by I forget who) of scripts/auxiliar/doc-section.sh MANUAL SECTION, as I was writing a lot of text for the manuals at the time, and needed to validate my contributions before pushing.

Trevor