Re: Stale branches in the canonical repository

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Stale branches in the canonical repository
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:47:08 +0100

Am Sonntag, dem 10.01.2021 um 12:32 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Hi all,
>
> there are currently 38 branches (out of 72 in total) in the canonical
> repository that have a committed date older than 90 days, excluding the
> stable/* branches. I suppose many of these were temporary, abandoned in
> the mean time or simply don't apply anymore. IMHO this might become
> problematic over time as we accumulate branches because important ones
> will be harder to find.
> For that reason, I'd like to ask everyone to go through the list below
> and delete your branches that you don't need anymore, from both GitLab
> and Savannah (or let me know and I can do it). Also please remember to
> delete branches of closed merge requests to avoid this problem in the
> future. Or open MRs from your private fork in which case I don't care
> how many branches you have 😉 (I use this all the time and there's no
> disadvantage, you even benefit from the fast CI if you're a Developer
> in the project.)

Let me share some thoughts on un-prefixed branches that don't seem to
be related to a single developer:

> Branch dev/guile-v2-work, last commit:
>     XXX reset the locale when building index.html
>     by Antonio Ospite at 2016-11-22, committed at 2020-02-10

plus commit "XXX don't override LANG globally in the build process"

> Branch dev/guilev21, last commit:
>     Source_file::init_port: Keep GUILEv2 from redecoding string input
>     by David Kastrup at 2014-09-21, committed at 2016-01-10

... which is now in master as de9f49055c (and was later replaced by
commit 483292eb80).

Current master builds and works fine with Guile 2.x (from a correctness
perspective), so I think we should delete these.

> Branch dev/upc-test-2, last commit:
>     by David Kastrup at 2013-07-17, committed at 2013-07-17
>
> Branch dev/upc-test, last commit:
>     These are all the modifications save those to define-grobs.scm.
>     by Mike Solomon at 2013-07-16, committed at 2013-07-16

I think these two branches were used to debug
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3385 , see also
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-07/msg00153.html
Since that is fixed, the branches can be deleted I would say.

If nobody objects, I will remove these branches in a few days from both
GitLab and Savannah (I still have monthly backups from GitLab, so we
won't lose them until I need more space on my backup drive...)

Jonas