Re: [RFC] Updating the CI image and bumping requirements

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] Updating the CI image and bumping requirements
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 22:01:55 +0100

Am Mittwoch, dem 27.01.2021 um 21:56 +0100 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 8:12 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> > with 2.23.0 out, I'd like to update the CI image. The current one is
> > based on Ubuntu 16.04 which will be EOL in April, a bit more than 2
> > months from now. I think there are two logical replacements:
> >  * Ubuntu 18.04, maintained until 2023-04
> >  * Debian 9 Stretch, maintained until 2022-06
> >
> > Neither of them has Guile 1.8 packaged, so that'll have to be compiled
> > when building the image anyway, but I'd like to go with Ubuntu 18.04
> > because it has Guile 2.2. In contrast, Debian 9 Stretch only comes with
> > guile-2.0 and I was surprised to find that LilyPond master doesn't even
> > compile with 2.0 at the moment [1].
> > However, there's another consideration: Ubuntu 18.04 comes with Python
> > 3.6 and support for Python 3.5 (the current minimum & in Ubuntu 16.04)
> > is likely to break without proper testing. For that reason, I think we
> > should bump the requirement accordingly. The downside is that doing so
> > would effectively drop support for Debian 9 Stretch with Python 3.5. I
> > think that's ok given that Debian 10 Buster is the current version, but
> > wanted to check if that's a problem for anybody?
> > [If we agree on Ubuntu 18.04 as a kind of "minimum distribution", it
> > might make sense to bump some other requirements (such as Pango to get
> > rid of some compatibility code), but this can be done in due time.]
>
> What is the downside of sticking with current 16.04? Unless we make a
> conscious decision to drop support for GUILE 1.8, there is not much
> upside to moving to the newer versions.  Dropping support for 1.8 has
> the potential to simplify a lot of GC related code, but IIRC, it's
> still a bit slower.

Sorry if this wasn't clear: This is not meant to update any of Guile.
The image with Ubuntu 18.04 will continue to build with version 1.8 for
the time being, but it gives us the possibility of making progress with
Guile 2.2 without having to switch distributions. The advantage is that
it decouples these two steps.

Jonas