Re: Deprecation of instrumentCueName and instrument switch stuffs

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Deprecation of instrumentCueName and instrument switch stuffs
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:29:42 -0500

Hi Werner (et al.),

> What about defining functions that emit the instrument name and do the
> transposition?  You would have a set of definitions for the
> parts (with transposition), and another set of definitions for the
> score (without transposition).

Just to recall and gather past discussions and attempts…

1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-10/msg00169.html
In that thread, I asked about auto-transposing a group of key signatures
changes [in a single variable] to the “most logical”, analogous to
\naturalizeMusic. David K presented some code which partially addressed the
issue.

2. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-03/msg00100.html
In that thread, I was asking basically the same question as I’ve asked here.
Jan-Peter offered the auto-transpose framework (part of the OLL editorial-tools
collection), which again was not a complete solution but addressed a large
number of the issues.

Maybe it’s time (almost 6 years since thread #2!) to revisit the optimal
solution and see what can be done with today’s Lily-tech…?

Cheers,
Kieren.