Re: LilyPond support for `festival`

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond support for `festival`
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 04:24:26 +0000 (UTC)

>WL> I wonder what we should do with the 'festival' and 'lilysong'
>WL> files (and related stuff) in LilyPond.  Please have a look at
>WL>
>WL>   https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1245
>WL>
>WL> This stuff is completely undocumented...
>
> if this is the only bug filed about this stuff then I would consider
> removing lilysong etc.  Probably nobody cares about it, because
> ‘lilysong’ command doesn’t work due to various Python 3 and other
> problems.  And Festival itself is abandonware, although still
> present in some GNU/Linux distributions, due to lack of better
> speech synthesis alternatives.

OK, thanks, I'll remove it from LilyPond.

> (The primary purpose of lilysong was to allow blind user to easily
> check for misaligned score and lyrics.)

By the way, is there a recent and maintained alternative to it?
Essentially, we would really like to have support for visually
impaired people so that they can use LilyPond more easily.  I can
imagine that this is a problem other score writing programs are trying
to manage, too.  So maybe there exists something that can handle
MusicXML?

I've opened an issue as a reminder.

  https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6664

    Werner