Re: Windows locale support

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: Windows locale support
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:27:55 +0200

Hello Werner,

> >> I've
> >> tested LilyPond 2.25.9 within `cmd.exe` of a US version of
> >> Windows 10 (i.e., the standard language and region setup is for the
> >> USA), and I can't make it output anything else but US English.  It
> >> doesn't react to setting any of the `LANGUAGE`, `LANG`, or
> >> `LC_MESSAGES` environment variables.

These three sections from the GNU gettext FAQ explain how to debug this:
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/FAQ.html#integrating_noop
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/FAQ.html#windows_howto
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/FAQ.html#windows_setenv

Start with the third one.

> >> Looking into the source code I don't see that we are disabling
> >> gettext support on Windows.  What am I missing?
> >
> > I don't believe Windows uses these environment variables to specify
> > locales.
>
> Well, I read nothing in the documentation of 'gettext' that those
> variables are ignored on Windows.

If someone sets these environment variables, for example 'LANG',
it should have an effect on the strings returned by gettext().

But that is not the usual, common case. The usual case is that the
user does not set these environment variables, but instead uses the
Windows control panel to define the preferred "regional settings".
This should have an effect on the strings returned by gettext() as well.

> within `cmd.exe`

There, you need also to consider
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Working-in-a-Windows-console.html

Bruno