Re: clang compiler warnings

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: clang compiler warnings
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:48:57 +0000 (UTC)

> However, I can't reproduce it, what compiler flags are you using?

According to the MacPorts log file it is the clang compiler that comes
with XCode 15.0.1 on MaOS 14.2.1.  Looking at

  https://gist.github.com/yamaya/2924292

this corresponds to

  Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.40.1)

The used compiler flags are

```
CXXFLAGS='-pipe -Os -stdlib=libc++ \
          -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.sdk \
          -arch arm64'
```

> I'm using -Wall and clang is quiet about this use case [...]
>
> Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.1.0.2.5)

Interesting.  Maybe this warning annoyed too much people so that it
got removed in the more recent clang version you are using.

> Since vsize is just a typedef of size_t, would it make sense to use
> SIZE_MAX when defined VPOS instead of a manual cast of negative one?

This sounds sensible to me, since `size_t` is always unsigned...

    Werner