Re: How to detect SpanBar from inside a make-bar-line definition?

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: How to detect SpanBar from inside a make-bar-line definition?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:31:33 -0400

On 2024-03-13 20:09, Thomas Morley wrote:
I don't understand what you propose.

My advice was general software-design advice based on a hasty consideration of your post, so I'm not really surprised.

To give a different example, let's look at make-dotted-bar-line (afaik
it's your code).
There you have a `making-span-bar?'-condition, obviously you want a
span bar a little different than bar line.

Yes, I remember that there were cases where the dashes didn't meet well, but I don't remember the details.

a) If I implement (pretty-print grob) there, I always get BarLine,
never something else, regardless where I place that.

In that case, I think you will need to pass more information into the function from above or find a heuristic that works better.

c) the condition itself may fail, see
/input/regression/non-centered-bar-lines.ly for an example, or try to
set bar-extent to an interval not crossing zero.

That's why the comments call it a heuristic.

Because of b) I tried to patch make-dotted-bar-line, alas I found no
condition to apply the patched functionality to span bars only.

Thus I ask if there is such a condition at all. Or how it could be coded.

I'm not sure, and I have to be very motivated to read Scheme, which I am not at the moment. Sorry.
--
Dan