Re: [RFC] Move GitLab testing to Ubuntu 22.04

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] Move GitLab testing to Ubuntu 22.04
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 22:47:43 +0200

On Wed, 2024-05-01 at 22:20 +0200, Michael Käppler wrote:

> > There is one caveat here that I would like to mention: During initial
> > testing in my fork, one test job unexpectedly hang during a lilypond
> > execution, using 100% CPU and eventually being killed after 60 minutes.
> > Subsequent runs were fine, so this needs to be monitored and
> > investigated if it happens again...
> >   Do you have a clue what was happening there?

No, nothing conclusive.

> > As noted in the MR summary, switching to Ubuntu 22.04 will give us
> > testing with the more recent Guile 3.0.7, and I would like to bump the
> > requirement to that version, after the switch had some time to settle.
> > Likewise I think we should bump the requirement to Texinfo 6.8 (which
> > will allow us to drop quite some compatibility code in lilypond.init)
> > and Python 3.10 (because Python scripts are notoriously easy to break
> > if only tested with more recent interpreter versions).
> >

> >  I'm not sure if I get what you say about the Python scripts.
>  "Python scripts are notoriously easy to break
>  if only tested with more recent interpreter versions" - you mean
> backwards-incompatible changes
>  would not be noticed?

Yes, in my experience it's very hard to claim a script works with a
given Python version without actually testing it. Given that most
developers will be on newer distributions, our CI is effectively our
minimum Python requirement.

>  Just out of interest, what is the reason that we use different environments
> for CI and
>  for doing releases? As an example, we are using Guile 3.0.9 now for the
> releases and Ubuntu 22.04 will have
>  only 3.0.7.

For releases, we have to build all dependencies ourselves, including
Guile, on all supported platforms (Linux, macOS, cross-compilation for
Windows).

Jonas

P.S.: your emails are really hard to reply to in text-only mode, sorry
for the partially mangled quotation; I'm not sure if that's your
messages containing a weird formatting or my mail client acting up...