Automatic indent

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Automatic indent
Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 11:47:21 +0200

Hello,

I’ve been wondering just now: Wouldn’t it be possible to use the break-align-
symbol mechanism to allow for dynamic indents? Take this as example:

<<
\new Staff \with { instrumentName = "ins" } {
  \override Score.BreakAlignment.break-align-orders =
  #(make-vector 3 '(cue-end-clef
                    ambitus
                    breathing-sign
                    time-signature
                    clef
                    cue-clef
                    staff-bar
                    key-cancellation
                    key-signature
                    custos
                    left-edge))
  \key cis\major
  c'
}
\new Staff { c' }

<<
\new Staff \with { instrumentName = "ins" } {
  \key cis\major
  c'
}
\new Staff { c' }

So clearly the break alignment interface would allow placing things before the
left edge. Of course the staff symbol stencil would need to be adjusted to take
this into account and not start early, but say if we did not place left edge
in a fixed location, but say we had a technical left edge (start of line) and a
staff left edge (start of staff). Then it should be possible to place things
like instrument names as break aligned grobs either before the technical left
edge for current behaviour, but also between technical left edge and staff left
edge. This way the start of the staff should dynamically depend on the
instrument name, and using space-alist we could still have an indent as
minimum space between the left edges.

This should also mean that instrument names could become much more accessible.

Cheers,
Valentin