Re: search for better regtest comparison algorithm

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: search for better regtest comparison algorithm
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2024 07:51:33 +0000 (UTC)

> These sub-pixel shifts I must admit worry me a bit.  [...]

Again, it seems to me that you are starting to ride the wrong horse.
What we have right now is, as far as I can see, good enough to handle
the specific case of slight image shifts.  Please invest your energy
in the *other* problem, namely to identify appearing and disappearing
objects in an image, and how to increase the demerits for such cases.

Remember: We *only* need higher demerits, not an algorithm that
exactly points out the problematic spots – the current algorithm
already shows the differences, and we also have a blinking comparison
mechanism that helps find such differences quickly by visual
inspection.

    Werner