Re: Repeats with bar-engraver removed

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Repeats with bar-engraver removed
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 21:42:00 +0100

Hi Pierre,

Maybe it's a silly question but why not simply something like:

\version "2.18"
{ c'1 \bar ".|:" c' c' c' \bar ":|." c' c'  }

Cheers,
Pierre

It is not at all silly. The path to the answer is a bit convoluted.

The issue is breaks. A \bar command needs a Bar_engraver to listen to it. If you have the Bar_engraver turned on, breaks are only allowed at bar lines. And since the OP wanted unmetered music with no bar lines except for repeats, although breaks would be permitted everywhere, you would need empty bar lines as break points − the typical \bar "".

To insert these automatically, you would make all the regular bar lines the empty type (\set Score.defaultBarType = ""), with very short measures to effectively allow a break anywhere, e.g., \time 1/8.

Unfortunately, this is currently buggy:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4084

In short, an empty bar line that occurs in the middle of a note triggers a programming error.

So my engraver was just a convenient way to spare the need for \cadenzaOn and manually inserting \bar "" at strategic places. It is mostly a way to lift the restriction that breaks can only occur at bar lines.

Headache ends here. I don't guarantee not having missed a corner rendering the engraver unnecessary…

I hope this clarifies it.

Cheers,
Jean