Making very complex cross-staff scores with Spontini-Editor

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Making very complex cross-staff scores with Spontini-Editor
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 14:25:37 +0100

Hi everyone,

as I promised in the previous post, I have added increasingly complex cross-staff notation examples to Spontini-Editor. Other examples will follow. In particular, you can find two bars from Sorabji's Sonata No. 1, where there are MANY cross-staff objects in THREE piano staves (but additional staves can be added). As you can see, the creation of such complex scores is perfectly achievable by Spontini-Editor through a standard algorithm, which makes use of cross-staff layers.

You can compare the implementation of Sorabji's measures with the historical B&H edition on IMSLP:

https://github.com/paolo-prete/Spontini/blob/master/examples/easy-cross-staff-example-9.svg

https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No.1_(Sorabji%2C_Kaikhosru_Shapurji)

https://github.com/paolo-prete/Spontini/blob/master/examples/easy-cross-staff-example-9.ly

Some errors of the historical edition have been intentionally corrected, others have remained intact in order to show how Spontini-Editor can also handle cross-staff scores with inconsistencies on the voices.

HTH