Re: Why does -dbackend=svg -dcrop remove system-system-spacing?

From: Niols
Subject: Re: Why does -dbackend=svg -dcrop remove system-system-spacing?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 19:01:00 +0100

On 13/01/2021 18:29, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Perhaps the syntax and functionality of -dcrop could be extended to
include:

<absent>     ie default #f:  as now, no cropped output
-dcrop       ie #t: preserve whitespace, set as one long cropped *page*
-dcrop num   separate cropped *systems* by num mm of whitespace
              (mm is already used as the unit of eps-box-padding)

So anyone who relies on the current behaviour could just add 0 to
their -dcrop option. Transparent strut workarounds could be removed.

I vote against this.  LilyPond's behaviour is simply broken and should
be corrected.  People who use struts can also easily set the
staff-staff distance to zero (using the standard LilyPond paper
variables).

I thought of that. But if the argument is that some people want to generate a SVG that does not contain the spacing information, it is not helping them to replace a value by 0 but to keep the SVG file the same otherwise.

That being said, I am not sure if that isn't what the current implementation of -dcrop in LilyPond is doing and I do not understand the use case of the current -dcrop option. I would tend to think that it is a broken behaviour indeed.

Cheers,
— Niols