Re: stacking of figured bass elements

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: stacking of figured bass elements
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 21:32:03 +0200

Le 12/06/2022 à 21:08, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
Hi David,

I have problems believing we did not have this particular discussion
already since there is a documented setting for it.

I don't understand how staff-padding relates to this discussion.
It counts from the reference point of the markup, which for text
is usually the bottom. Consequently, it does not align consecutive
scripts as if they were set as a line of text. To wit:

{
  \override TextScript.padding = ##f % now only staff-padding counts
  c'1^"afg" c'^"aht" c'^"afg"
}

The problem isn’t really whether there’s a documented setting or not… It’s
whether that documented setting is consistently applied and behaves in the way
most users would instinctively expect.

\version "2.23.4"

{
  \override MetronomeMark.staff-padding = #1.5
  \mark \markup { agt } g'1
  \mark \markup { aht } g'1
  \mark \markup { agt } g'1
}

Did you mean "Score.RehearsalMark" instead of "MetronomeMark"?

Apart from that, RehearsalMark doesn't listen to staff-padding,
only to padding
(https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/342)
but I don't think this matters for the present discussion.

in markups: there either isn’t a convenient mechanism to deal with
texts/markups *from their baseline [and not their reference point]*,

As a side note, right now, side positioning is done via skylines,
which is a bit different from just using the reference point.

That doesn't change the fact that markups made of letters with
varying heights have their bottoms aligned when there aren't
any objects nearby that they need to avoid, which leads to the
problem at hand.

or the convenient mechanism exists and isn’t sufficiently well
exposed/documented/promoted.

For a start, this can be useful:

{
  \override Score.RehearsalMark.Y-offset = 4
  \mark \markup { agt } g'1
  \mark \markup { aht } g'1
  \mark \markup { agt } g'1
}