liquidwar-user

[liquidwar-user] Packaging

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: [liquidwar-user] Packaging
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:41:17 +0200

Hi,

I'm about to package a 5.5.8 release of Liquid War, which would include:
- FreeBSD support
- a minor bugfix concerning page flipping
- any other minor - ie quick to implement - enhancement and/or bug-fixes
  that someone on this list would think of this week ;-)

BTW, how's the German translation going? I was thinking that even if
it's not completely done, it might be interesting to start including it.
It seems that German people represent a fair share of LW users 8-)

FYI I still believe there are some problems of consistency in the 5.5.7
algorithm. This won't prevent me from releasing 5.5.8, since the bug
has been arround for quite a long time, and nobody really complained.
However one of my goals is to have the game "rock-solid", so I might be
interested in playing a few games with someone for debugging purposes.
The point is that I can't reproduce the bug on my computers, even when I
connect over a "real-world" internet link. To describe the bug rapidly:
when one tweaks the rules settings, then checksum errors appear - that's
to say the game does not behave the same on all computers. The obvious
guess is that options are not correctly transmitted, but it seems that
the problem is elsewhere. My guess is that the game has different
behaviors because of a different compiler, CPU, kernel version etc...
The error could for instance come from a memory zone that is zeroed on a
computer and not on the other one. So I think playing a few games with
someone that has debugging options turned on to "complete log" would
help a good deal. So if you have some free time, do not hesitate 8-)
Personnally, I should be able to be online on thursday evening
(Europe/Paris timezone).

Have a nice day.

Christian.

--