mailman

Re: executable mailbox file modes

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: executable mailbox file modes
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 11:34:59 -0700

Ian Kelling wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> >   mharc@lists1p:~$ ls -l ~-/2020-01
> >   -rwxr-xr-x 1 mharc mharc 3896 Jan 14 12:03
> > /arc/mharc-mbox/savannah-hackers-public/2020-01
>
> /home/mharc/procmailrc.mailman
> has this line
> UMASK=133
>
> So, I'm guessing changing that to 022 would do it.

Someone has been here before already previously trying to fix this!
Or that is simply the way it should be for public mail archiving.

The default procmail UMASK is 077.  That would make files not publicly
available for reading.  So it needs to be opened up for reading.

We don't want files 022 writable.  We don't want files 0111
executable.  Which results in UMASK=0133.  So actually I think that
above is okay.

> Can you think of any good reason for it to be the way it is?

This *must* be a deja-vu bug.  My crystal ball says that someone
previously came upon this problem, set UMASK=133 as an attempt to
solve it previously.  It hasn't solved it.  Therefore we are here once
again at this same place.

The executable bits are the 0111 bits.  0022 | 0111 produces 0133 and
we arrive at the previously attempted solution of setting the umask in
procmail for this problem.  But as we can see it did not solve it.

That or 0133 is simply the right mode bits for public archiving since
that blocks both write and execute bits.  But I agree that it is very
strange to see!

In any case there is still something else past this point which is
setting the +x bits on those files.  Since it is not coming from
the procmail process environment.

Bob