Re: Spacing in environmental variable

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Spacing in environmental variable
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:37:02 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  i> One possible workaround I was thinking about was to temporarily
  i> replace the spaces with a different character, like
  i> TEMPPATH:=$(subst ,*,$(PATH).  That would replace all spaces with
  i> "*" char.  However, subst doesn't seem to like it if the from
  i> string is a space.

This is not a problem: you just have to know the "trick".  The trick is
to put the space into a variable, then use the variable in the subst
function, like this:

  # Empty variable
  E :=
  # Variable containing one space