Re: make3.81-beta4 mingw not failing on error?

From: Matt England
Subject: Re: make3.81-beta4 mingw not failing on error?
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:42:56 -0600

At 3/7/2006 01:44 PM, Paul D. Smith wrote:
The "set -e", in a POSIX shell, turns on "exit on error" mode; in this
mode the shell will exit immediately when any command line exits with a
non-0 code.

Yes.

So, on UNIX, this command would exit immediately if the $(CXX) program
exits with a non-zero code, as Matt expects.

Is this this not the way it's supposed to work on mingw/msys?

In any case, I get the same error scenario when I make it one 'g++ -M' command without the other cmds...if memory serves me correctly.

  ez> I don't know how this worked on Cygwin for you, perhaps you used a
  ez> different shell, or perhaps the Cygwin Make interacts differently
  ez> with the shell.

I agree, though, that this must be an issue with the shell that make is
invoking: I can't see it being an issue with GNU make proper.  The only
relationship between this problem and make could be which shell is
invoked or how the shell is invoked.

Can anyone tell me the shell systems (mingw/msys/sh/whatever) they get to work properly? cygwin is not my issue; cygwin works as expected.

Matt: can you remove the "@" prefix to this command ("set -e; ...") so
we can see what exactly is being invoked here?  Also, if you use -d or
just --debug=j you can get info on the return code the shell gives back
to make.

Ok, I'll do that.

For what it's worth, you'll get feedback much more quickly if you just take the files and run them yourself. (Can I make a .tar.gz attachment to these emails to make it easier? I'll try with this note.) But I'm happy to make these edits and get back to the this. Stay tuned.

-Matt