Re: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81

From: Christopher Faylor
Subject: Re: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:35:08 -0400

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 01:27:10PM -0700, Aaron Shatters wrote:
>>> Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:42:44 -0400
>>> From: Christopher Faylor
>>>
>>> Actually it means that cmd.exe doesn't know what to do with a -c option.
>>
>>Yes, probably.
>
>Actually, why would it ever pass a -c option to cmd.exe in this case.
>cmd.exe is not a unixy_shell, and it is a batch_mode_shell, and echo is
>one of the shell commands.  It should be using batch mode, which
>discards the "C:/WINNT/system32/cmd.exe -c" part before dumping the
>command to a temporary batch file.

The Cygwin version of make doesn't know anything about cmd.exe.  Cygwin
emulates a UNIX-like system.  UNIX-like systems don't have cmd.exe.

If you want a version of make which knows about cmd.exe use the MinGW
version.  I really cannot comprehend how to make this simple fact any
clearer so that is the last I'm going to say on the subject.

cgf