Re: what happens to my --jobs?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: what happens to my --jobs?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:50:21 -0500

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 10:12 +0100, Krzysztof Nosek wrote:
> shouldn't --jobs (-j) flag and its value appear in MAKEFLAGS?

No; there's no need for it to be there.  The submakes get information
about whether they can run a job or not from the jobserver (a pipe).
They don't need to know, nor would it be useful to know, how many total
jobs are possible; they just know whether they can run the next one or
not.

> I would really like to know from my makefile how many (if any)
> concurrent jobs user requested.

Why do you need to know how many jobs are requested?

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us