Re: Windows make invoking cygwin sh bug

From: Alex Khripin
Subject: Re: Windows make invoking cygwin sh bug
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:10:15 -0400

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:26:12 -0400
> From: Alex Khripin <address@hidden>
>
> Short summary: there's a bug (I blame Cygwin, but want to fix make) in
> running commands that start with a drive letter when using Windows make and
> Cygwin sh

Why are you using a native build of Make with Cygwin tools?  Doing
that is asking for trouble due to subtle incompatibilities like this
one.  The Cygwin build of Make is a much better candidate for this
kind of job, and it does support DOS/Windows file names with drive
letters.  Can you use that instead?  If not, why not?

I tried this today with a simple Makefile that I ran with Cygwin's make:
DIR=c:/temp

$(DIR)/myfile2 : $(DIR)/myfile
    cp $^ $@

$(DIR)/myfile :
    @echo foo > $@

This does not work:
Makefile:3: *** target pattern contains no `%'.  Stop.

Are you sure the cygwin make is meant to deal with Windows paths?