Re: sync_Path_environment issue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sync_Path_environment issue
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 18:42:53 +0300

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 07:29:46 -0400
> From: LM <address@hidden>
>
> > Which Bash-like shell exists on Windows, except Cygwin?
> >

> I've seen ports of zsh and tcsh for Windows.

They are buggy (even after I fixed some glaring bugs in zsh).  Only
usable for very simple jobs.

> There's a bash like shell with the win32 busybox port.

If that means one needs to install busybox, then it's not really
compelling...

> There's an older bash-nt project at Sourceforge.

Tried that; buggy and limited.

> The MirOS project has a developer working on porting mksh to
> Windows.  The project I'm working with is in the process of
> developing a bash-like shell with added internationalization support
> based on msh.

I'll be delighted to see these work once they are developed.

> I even noticed support for the MKS shell mentioned in the make code.

That's proprietary, so I'm not interested.  I want something I can fix
when I find a bug.

> So, there are other options besides msys and/or Cygwin based bash
> shells.

Not really, not if you want to run configure scripts or something
similar in complexity.

> > You can always use := if you bump into this very problem in your
> > target environment with the native MinGW Make.
> >

> If that's true, then a simple work-around would be to add code like the
> following at the beginning of do_variable_definition in variable.c:
>
> #ifdef WINDOWS32
>   if (strcmp (varname, "PATH") == 0)
>   {
>     if (flavor == f_recursive)
>       flavor = f_simple;
>   }
> #endif

Is it really a fact that PATH on Windows must be non-recursive?  I'm
not sure.