mediagoblin-devel

Re: [GMG-Devel] API proposal

From: Tryggvi Björgvinsson
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] API proposal
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 09:26:10 +0000

On 11/07/2011 06:49 AM, Nathan Yergler wrote:
Thanks, Tryggvi. I took a super brief look and one question that
immediately popped up is whether or not the US/MGS distinction is
something that exists today in the GMG codebase. It's totally
conceivable to me that it does and I haven't run across it, I just
wanted to try and understand how much of this is your specific use
case (which if I recall correctly from the IRC meeting is using GMG as
a backend?), and how much is the current GMG data-model. Re-reading
now, I think the US/MGS distinction (and file claims) are specific to
your use case, so I guess I'm just looking for confirmation.

Hi Nathan (and everybody),

I am unsure whether this distinction exists or not in the current GMG codebase. I would think, just off the bat, that it would require some rewrite or additions to the GMG data-model. I base this on the running MediaGoblin instance I looked at where the URI is directly related to a specific user on the system, e.g. http://mg.wandborg.se/u/dabnotu/m/p1460345-gimp/ which is uploaded by a specific user: dabnotu and probably closely tied to this user. This might not work for a "generic upload where files can be claimed later by remote users".

You are correct that the API is based on a use case where GMG is being used as a backend, meaning that GMG stores all media on behalf of the "frontend". Think Status.Net storing multimedia content on a GMG instance so that Status.Net can only focus on delivering dents and then point to multimedia content on the GMG instance. GMG takes care of upload and processing and notifies the Status.Net instance when the file has been processed.

This might not be the direction we foresee for GMG and probably needs some discussion (and input from the project leaders). I just wrote up the API based on these needs, since I'm developing the user service which needs the multimedia repository backend which takes care of the processing.

Thanks again for putting that together, I think it's very helpful.

No problem, don't be afraid to tear it apart and improve it.

/Tryggvi