mediagoblin-devel

Re: [GMG-Devel] Pugins plans

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Pugins plans
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 10:52:17 -0600

Heya Tumulte,

Tumulte Dogma writes:

> Hey guys !
>
> for dogmazic I plan to make few plugins for mediagoblin, if there's
> anything I should know about best practices : fill me in. However, the
> main reason I'm mailling you, is because I don't want to do something
> that's already done :)
>
> I take any tips you can give me. Wanna do things properly
>
> Basically here's the first stuff we gonna need :
>
> - Album view

I think we already have this?  You may be interested in looking into
collections support?

> - Genre filter

I'm not sure what this one means... is it filtering by media type?  (We
don't have that; I would like it though)  Or
maybe something along the lines of tagging?  (We do have this.)

> - archive/multiple upload

Do you mean something along the lines of "uploading new revisions and
keeping old revisions of files?"  We don't have that; there is some
expressed interest in it, however.

There will likely be a refactor of the way media types work soon.  You
may be interested in reading:

  http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/MediaTypeRefactor

> So far so good.
>
> There's also a really tricky part... I got to discuss with you how
> complicated it would be to import current users.
> Basically we got 24 000 users on a mysql DB. They use a php's crypt
> authentication. Do you think there's any way to import them into a
> mediagoblin instance ?

It should be possible, but it will require some changes to MediaGoblin
(which we already want).  At the moment, we use bcrypt to hash
passwords; if you wanted to use the old passwords, we would need to add
support that MediaGoblin could accept different authentication
mechanisms.  I'm interested in this... we have several use cases for it
already.  I would be happy to work closely with you on this one if you
have personal interest in working on it.

> I'm just trying to guess how hard it would be. It'll help me decide if I
> do that now, later or never.

Great... not sure if that helps; hopefully so!