mibble-users

Re: [Mibble-users] Wrong constraints

From: Karl Weber
Subject: Re: [Mibble-users] Wrong constraints
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:54:25 +0200

Am Montag, 12. Mai 2008 00:10 schrieb Karl Weber:
> Hi,
> Hi Per,
>
> I am no ASN.1 expert, so I cannot tell whether the following is an error,
> but according to my understanding of the X.208 I suppose so.

My post was a little rash. SMIv2 as specified in rfc2578 uses some features,
that are not in accordance with Recommendation X.208.

[...]

> Mibble creates a VALUE-SYMBOL for every >identifier< (as it is called in
> section 14.1 of the X.208 Recommendation) explicitly listed in the SYNTAX
> of the type definition of RowStatus. Furthermore, it adds a compound
> constraint, restricting the value set of the RowStatus type to the values
> listed, thus effectively creating a subtype of INTEGER. Is this correct?

-- Yes, according to the 2nd paragraph in section 7.1.1 in rfc2578, but
-- no according to X.208.

Since the relevant standard here is rfc2578, the final answer is yes.

Before my next post, I will try to do a complete survey of the relevant
standards documents.

-Karl