[Mingw-cross-env-list] PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG(0.16) syntax error

From: Yose Widjaja
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG(0.16) syntax error
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 02:33:47 +1000

Hi,

On my freshly updated arch linux box, I encountered the following error:

./configure: line 1783: syntax error near unexpected token `0.16'
./configure: line 1783: `PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG(0.16)'

Now, I saw another thread on this mailing list saying that this was moved out of the gcc check and into autotools, but unfortunately I the packages I'm trying to install seem to require autotools (openal, curl).

What can be done to go around this problem? I'm not 100% sure what the other thread meant when it said the following:

 "Just to report: I've checked and removing those auto{conf,make} from my PATH does allow 'make autotools' to succeed (even though it's now picking up system versions that are too old according to http://mxe.cc/#requirements (on a CentOS 6.6 box))."?

I tried manually renaming autoconf/make from /usr/bin into something else to test it, and it got me another error.

Not sure where to go from here, anyone got any idea?