MySQL monitoring: too many bad connections from host

From: Neil Robst
Subject: MySQL monitoring: too many bad connections from host
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:08:07 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I've setup monit 4.4 on a host to monitor a local MySQL database and a
remote MySQL database by simply attempting to connect on port 3306 on each
server. I left it running over night and when I came back in this morning
I find that the MySQL database has blocked client accesses from the host
due to "too many bad connections". I suspect this is because the test that
monit is doing is simply opening the MySQL port and then closing it again
- not actually executing any SQL statements and thus MySQL is seeing this
as a bad connection attempt.

Is anyone aware of this and have a workaround / resolution? Maybe
extending the MySQL tests like the Apache-status one to actually query the
status of the MySQL server and find out what it's really doing rather than
just connecting on the tcp port. Or maybe better still the ability to run
arbitary SQL statements and check their output?

Regards,
Neil

believed to be clean.