Re: Monit not running?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monit not running?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:43:21 +0100

Titus Cheung wrote:
Hi,

I have setup Monit as per the instructions on
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-monitor-and-restart-linux-unix-service.h
tml
and issued the "monit" command (the "init -q" command doesn't work)

Provided you added the 'mo:2345:respawn:/usr/local/bin/monit -Ic /etc/monitrc' line to the /etc/inittab then the 'telinit -q' tells init to reread its configuraton and start monit. Note that monit will be started *only* when the monit configuration file was set and has proper permissions.

but am not sure why I can't see the log file with "tail -f /var/log/message"
(It's not there).  I have it set as
"set logfile syslog facility log_daemon"

You should check the configuration of your syslog daemon (/etc/syslog.conf) for daemon facility logfile.

Also, can someone please explain what is
mo:2345:respawn:/usr/local/bin/monit -Ic /etc/monitrc

Basicaly inittab provides configuration for process called 'init' (read inittab manual page for more details). This particular line says to init that it should start the given command in runlevels 2, 3, 4, 5 and in the case that it dies it will be restarted by init. It is kind of watchdog-on-watchdog.

Martin