Re: [monit] Need help restarting an app.

From: David Cantrell
Subject: Re: [monit] Need help restarting an app.
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:42:37 +0100

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 05:14:58PM -0700, SPAZ wrote:

> I have tried every vareation of the kill command and cannot come up with a
> working one.
>
> check process Phantom_World with pidfile /mangos1/bin/mangos.pid
>    stop program = "killall -TERM mangos-world"

Using killall is a Really Bad Idea.  While on some platforms it will do
what you want here, and send the signal to any instance of the named
process, on others it sends a signal to all processes that the user can
signal.  Using it anywhere is just asking for trouble because one day
you *will* be logged in as root on a machine where killall kills
everything.

Better to write a small shell script with a different name that does the
job you want.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

  engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
    to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists