Re: monit startup and system time

From: Marcus Mülbüsch
Subject: Re: monit startup and system time
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:42:18 +0100

Am 08.03.2012 10:01, schrieb Gerrit Kühn:
Hi all,

I am running monit on Gentoo systems, installed via portage and using the
startup scripts provided by that.

It seems that your hardwareclock is off by about two hours. The system time first is set by the hardwareclock, next by /etc/init.d/ntpclient and tne maintained by /etc/init.d/ntpd.

If monit starts before ntpdate (which is the service started by ntp-client) and the time is corrected during the 60s delay monit will wait for a very long time.

   There are several possible approaches:

1) You could set the hardwareclock using the system-clock bedore shutting down: set 'clock_systohc="YES"' in /etc/conf.d/hwclock

2) Possibly you could not set the system time using the hwclock during bootup: set 'clock_hctosys="NO"' in /etc/conf.d/hwclock. I have no idea which side effects this will produce, though.

3) You could start monit after the system-clock is set correctly: insert "after ntpd" in /etc/init.d/monit

Personally I recommend using option 1. Maybe option 3. I would refrain from option 2.

Hope that helps.

If all else fails: Check your version of openrc that you are using? Does your /etc/rc.conf still have a 'rc_parallel="YES"' line? Uncomment it!

Marcus