Re: Monitoring free space on a device

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monitoring free space on a device
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 22:30:04 +0200

I'm sorry - you're right, the test checks the used space. The native free space
test is not available - possible workarounds:

1.) you can either calculate the space usage limit to alert when just 15GB are
available => "if space usage > 200 gb then alert"
2.) or you can use the "check program" with custom script which will return
error in the case that the free space shrinks bellow the given limit

Another option would be to implement the free space test in Monit (should be
easy) - i think it is however very special case if the percent-based space
usage cannot be used, as even if you want to utilise the space as much as
possible (let's say on 99%), it can be effective only in specific cases, as the
filesystem performance degrades due to fragmentation when the space usage is
high (usually > 80%) => unless the application is implemented so, that it can
use the filesystem with respect to this feature (for example Google does this
intentionally with specific data design to use the HW as much as possible), the
percent-based test is sufficient, as the admin needs to be warned based on when
the filesystem reaches some utilisation% to prevent performance problems.

Regards,
Martin