Feature Request - Option to exclude nice usage from user CPU stats

From: Philip Mountifield
Subject: Feature Request - Option to exclude nice usage from user CPU stats
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:06:12 +0000

I've been using monit for a little while now to monitor a few machines, and on one particular machine which has a low priority process which mainly runs when the CPU would have been otherwise idle (I.e. it is "nice -n 19"), I get high user CPU usage notification, since monit considers user usage to be "cpu_user + cpu_nice", but in reality it is a low priority processes which would just get pushed out the way if anything really important want to get the CPU. So I'd like to be able to specify a check rule like "if cpu usage (user) > 70% then alert" but to exclude the portion which came from nice. I have a couple of suggestions for possible ways to implement it:
  1. Add a new resource name which only includes cpu_user time and not cpu_nice time - backwards compatible
  2. Add a config option which excludes cpu_nice from the CPU user stat - default to off for backwards compatibility

Of these two, I suspect the second might be simpler. Would this feature be useful to anyone else out there?

Regards
Phil