monitoring desktops

From: Smith, Graham - Computing Technical Officer
Subject: monitoring desktops
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:06:54 +0000

Hi all,

I’m successfully using monit on a number of servers for a variety of diverse tasks.

But now I’d like to monitor some desktops and other devices that may be down or unplugged

by a user – but not indefinitely.

A desktop may be not used for up to about 4 days and that would be normal enough if

classrooms aren’t full for some groups and 2 of those days are the weekend.

If it is not used beyond about 4 days, that it raises suspicion that there may be a

failure worthy of investigation. In short I need a more “fuzzy” uptime check.

I can use the cron section so I don’t get alerts outside of term time and that’s useful.

But the maximum limit of 64 cycles isn’t really enough. With a  30 second cycle I’d need something like:

check host Lab220-01 with address 10.127.220.1

        if failed ping with timeout 10 seconds for 11520 cycles then alert

I could script something externally to keep a count of length of outage producing a score similar to how e-mails are scored for probability of

spam content. Then poll that in monit based on exit status. But that seems an inelegant solution. Anybody using monit in this way?

Thanks,

Graham

Graham Smith
Technical Officer
Department of Computing
Institute of Technology Tallaght
Tallaght
Dublin 24
Ireland

The contents and any attachment of this e-mail are private and confidential.
They are intended only for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee, you are notified that any copying, forwarding, publication, review or delivery of this e-mail or any attachments to anyone else or any other use of its contents is strictly prohibited. You are prohibited from reading any part of this e-mail or any attachments.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the system manager.  Unauthorised disclosure or communication or other use of the contents of this e-mail or any part thereof may be prohibited by law and may constitute a criminal offence. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Institute does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.  Unless stated to the contrary, any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may not be attributed to the Institute.