moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] bonobo:editable property

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] bonobo:editable property
Date: 15 Dec 2003 17:13:32 +0100

Le dim 14/12/2003 à 23:49, Christian Glodt a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 14:14, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Following a recent discussion on the gnome-devel-list about security and
> > mozilla-bonobo, I tried to implement something in GChemPaint based on
> > the following line in mozilla-bonobo-viewer.c:
> > > bonobo_pbclient_set_boolean(prop_bag, "bonobo:editable", FALSE, NULL);
> >
> > I obtain a warning from libbonobo:
> >
> > (gchempaint:7001): Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-listener.c: line 231
> > (bonobo_event_make_name): assertion `!subtype || !strchr (subtype, ':')'
> > failed
> >
> > After some debuging it appears that the value of subtype is
> > bonobo:editable. The name of the property should not contain a colon.
> > May be editable would be enough, or bonobo_editable?
>
> well I guess when I chose that name, I was under the false impression
> that "bonobo:editable" was a standard property that many components
> supported. I had seen it as an oaf attribute [1], and thought it might
> be settable as a property too.
>
> If this attribute name is not intended to be used as a property, then we
> need to do something different. In that case, we need to be careful
> about the namespace we use.
>
> If we need to define some kind of interface that components have to
> explicitly support, we should put it into a non-ambiguous namespace
> that we "own".

The bonobo:editable property refered to in bonobo activation
documentation is an item found in server files, not in a property bag.
The choice of a name for the property we need is something that might be
discussed on the cnome components list, since it can be useful in other
situations than with mozilla-bonobo.
Nevertheless, things work with GChemPaint. I can avoid all edition
operations with the current implementation. Just I get a warning and
listeners (I do not think there is one outside of mozilla-bonobo) are
not notified of the change.

Regards,

Jean