Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns

From: Michael Warnock
Subject: Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:45:21 -0700

By way of introduction, I am working on a couple of games making use of nel-
commercial games.  In addition to selling our content and service, we consider
our game rules our ip and there are a couple reasons why they can be
implemented without violating the gpl (which i consider scripture).  First of
all our rules will be in a brand new specification language in
their own files or database tables and wont be compiled or linked at all.  But
should we run into speed problems for not hardcoding everything, we're still
not required to release anything- you can quite legally use gpl'ed code in your
own, unreleased programs- and why should we release the server side code?

michael warnock
InOrbit Entertainment